URBAN RURAL CONNECTIONS is a year-long New Conversations project that aims to generate creative interregional dialogue. Six artists from the UK and Canada will collect in various configurations to devise and deliver simple creative prompts to each other. These prompts and resulting creative output will take place over the remainder of 2021 and first half of 2022, and result in a collection of perspectives on what it is to live and create work in urban and rural environments. Collaborating artists are Arthi Chandra and James Long from Theatre Replacement (Vancouver, Canada), Deborah Pearson (London, UK), Estelle Shook, AD of the Caravan Farm Theatre (Armstrong, Canada), Selina Thompson (Birmingham, UK), and Elle While, AD of Pentabus Theatre (Ludlow, UK).
PROMPT ONE: URBAN ARTISTS
A Need and a Gift:
1. Over 10 consecutive days, make a daily practice of writing down what it is you need. It could be what you need in that moment; it could be what you need done for you that afternoon; it could be what you need to make it through the next few months; it could be what you need to complete yourself; it could be… anything. Just write it down, daily.
2. Share your need(s) with the group via email. Provide as much or as little context as you like. Is it one sentence that distills the ten? Is it the full list? Is it the full list minus one or two that might be best kept to yourself? Is it one that kept repeating over and over?
3. We will have someone at the T/R office pull names from a hat and assign each of us a partner.
4. Send this partner a gift by post/mail to help attend to/reflect/satisfy/exacerbate that need for them. This exercise is inspired by one Deborah completed at an international residency. Gifts there ranged from a small book of poetry to dance instructions.
5. When it is all received, find some way to document it. Photo? Little written thing? A recording using the WhatsAPP voice memo function? We will all be curious.
PROMPT TWO: facilitated by Rural artists Estelle Shook and Elle While
PROMPT THREE: facilitated by UK artists Elle While, Selina Thompson and Deborah Pearson.
PROMPT FOUR: facilitated by Canadian artists Estelle Shook and Theatre Replacement.
Urban Rural Connections is part of New Conversations, a program funded and delivered by the British Council, Canada Council for the Arts, Farnham Maltings, and the High Commission of Canada in the UK.
Theatre Replacement’s programming depends on the generosity of our community of donors and sponsors. Please consider making a donation today.Donate Now